Baird Health and Counseling is an integrative part of the CSC experience. We are a team of skilled healthcare professionals committed to supporting student physical wellbeing, emotional fortitude, and success; always learning, always caring.
Services for Students
We believe all students are holistic beings with interdependent physical, emotional, social and spiritual needs. We also believe that students have the right and responsibility to educate themselves and to be educated about available health information in order to make informed choices. Students rights and responsibility regarding their protected health information are detailed in our Notice of Privacy Practices.
Services available through the Baird Health & Counseling Center focus on supporting the student while at college. Illness, injury, and counseling services are available to full time matriculated students Monday through Friday. The staff at Baird Health & Counseling Center supplements the student's primary care network while at school and will work directly with primary care and designated specialty providers at the student's request. Referrals to technology services such as radiology and specialty health care professionals are made as needed. Provisions for allergy injections can be made through the local physicians of New London Hospital. Psychiatry services are also available through NLH.
Students are encouraged to establish an account at a local pharmacy. Colonial Pharmacy (603-526-2233) and Robert Scarlett Pharmacy (603-526-4716) will deliver directly to Baird Health & Counseling Center for pick up at the student's convenience during normal hours of operation provided that the student has made arrangements for payment.
Make an Appointment
Please call the Baird Health & Counseling Center at 603-526-3621 to make an appointment Monday - Friday when classes are in session.
*You are invited to send suggestions, questions or comments to Baird Health & Counseling Center.
Health Insurance Information
Student Health Insurance at Colby-Sawyer
Colby-Sawyer does not sponsor a student health insurance plan. Health insurance is important and is a requirement for all per the Affordable Care Act.
If you participate in an internship or clinical at a hospital, please be aware that the hospital may require that you have health insurance. If so, please be mindful and plan ahead for your health insurance as some plans have specific enrollment dates or waiting periods for enrollment. Baird Health & Counseling Center will continue to offer professional and convenient care to all full time students.
Student Health Insurance
- Family insurance plans permit members to continue coverage until age 26. Is this an option for you?
- All states are required to have an in-state insurance exchange. Do you want to learn more about this? Go to: http://healthcare.gov.
- Does your health insurance plan provide coverage for services in the greater New London, NH area (including Concord, NH/Dartmouth region)? Out of state Medicaid, CHPs or regional programs may not provide adequate coverage while at Colby-Sawyer. Do you want to look for supplemental health insurance coverage?
- Any medical expense that you may incur while at Colby-Sawyer is your responsibility. Do you know how to file a claim through your insurance company?
For graduates: It is important to know what your insurance options are and whether you will be covered under your parents, an employer, or another source post-graduation.
For international students: It is important that you have student health insurance while you are at Colby-Sawyer College. Medical care is very expensive and it will be important to have coverage in the U.S. for accidents or illness. There are multiple insurance policies available for students studying abroad and it is your choice as to what provider and coverage that you choose, (i.e. search international health insurance). Your insurance policy needs to be recognized in the U.S. for adequate coverage. You will need to understand what your insurance policy covers and what the exclusions are. It is important to have coverage for emergency evacuation in case of a catastrophic event.
For all returning and entering students: It is important that students have adequate health insurance while at college. Colby-Sawyer students are required to complete the on-line Emergency Contact/Insurance/Missing Persons information form as an entering student and annually thereafter. If you change your insurance plan or other information requested on the form, please update your information at the time of the change. It's a good idea to have a copy of your health insurance card with you while at college.
Prevent the Spread of Illnesses
- Hand washing: Use soap and water, rub all hand surfaces well, rinse and dry well. Use hand sanitizer if soap and water aren't available. Do this prior to eating, preparing food or after using the bathroom, touching your face, or touching money and any other frequently handled item.
- Cough etiquette: Cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue (then wash hands), or cough into your sleeve. Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth (a good habit all the time).
- Don't share utensils, cups, bottles, phones, computers or personal care items
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth. Germs spread this way.
- Disinfect areas that are touched by many people: This includes door knobs, computer keyboards, etcetera.
- Social Distancing: Stay home if you're sick, preferably with your family if you can and not at school. If you stay at Colby-Sawyer, self-isolate as best you can. Re-emerge when your fever is less than 100°F for 24 hours without the use of fever-reducing drugs like acetaminophen or ibuprofen. PLEASE CONSIDER PURCHASING AND USING A THERMOMETER! DETECTING FEVER BY FEEL IS HIGHLY INACCURATE! Keep your distance as much as possible when in class or around the community.
Your health is important to everyone. Eat well, drink plenty of water, exercise and get 8 or more hours of sleep per night.
Contact our Director
This site is monitored by Pam Spear, Director of Baird Health and Counseling Center. She will answer your e-mail to email@example.com or direct it to the person who can address your comment. You are also invited to call us at 603-526-3621. Our Fax number is 603-526-3453.